Mercury poisoning is dangerous. It leads to serious damage to the nervous system, immune system and digestive system of humans.

It is a common misconception that mercury poisoning does not occur in the Western world due to tight health regulations. Quite opposite – mercury toxicity is rather common.

The main reason for that is the process of bioaccumulation. Human activity such as coal-fired power stations and waste incinerators produce mercury that ends up in the waterways.

Small fish consumes mercury with food. At that stage, the concentration of mercury in small fish is not dangerous for humans. However, the bigger fish consumes a significant amount of smaller fish. This leads to an accumulation of mercury at a level dangerous for humans. This fish is mainly tuna.

The most common symptoms of mercury poisoning are:

  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Irritability
  • Memory problems
  • Numbness 
  • Pathologic shyness
  • Tremors, twitching of the muscles
  • Weakness
  • Disturbances in sensations

Mercury poisoning may be a subtle process. The best way to determine whether there is mercury toxicity is to have a simple, easy and inexpensive blood test.